COLUMBIA -- South Carolina and Darrin Horn have agreed in principle for Horn to take over as the school's new men's basketball coach, multiple sources confirmed Monday morning.
A news conference has not been scheduled, but Horn is expected to be introduced here either Tuesday or Wednesday.
Specific terms of the deal were not immediately known, but USC was expected to offer a five-year deal worth about $750,000. USC's public relations department sent out a release this afternoon saying a board meeting has been scheduled for 11 a.m. Tuesday. The release says the agenda will consist of a contractual matter in the athletic department.
Sources said USC officials met with Horn on Friday evening at an off-campus site.
Horn, 35, had been the head coach at Western Kentucky since 2003.
This past season marked his most successful at his alma mater. The Hilltoppers reached the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Tournament, upsetting fifth-seeded Drake in the opening round and then squeaking past San Diego in the second round.
The Hilltoppers needed a dramatic, long, buzzer-beating shot by guard Ty Rogers to get past Drake.
Final Four participant UCLA knocked WKU out in the regional semis.
A native of Glasgow, Ky., near to the WKU campus in Bowling Green, Horn played for the Hilltoppers in the early 1990s.
Horn's base salary at WKU was about $150,000, with incentives that took him between $300,000-400,000. WKU officials have said Horn has a $200,000 buyout in place.
Horn is taking over for Dave Odom, who coached the Gamecocks for seven years before announcing Jan. 18 that he would retire at the end of the season.
At that point, USC athletic director Eric Hyman said he'd begin the research process of identifying possible candidates.
Things stayed quiet until recent weeks, when Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel's name began to circulate quite fervently.
However, after the Sooners lost in the second round of the NCAAs, Oklahoma gave Capel an extension that included a healthy raise.
